Municipal Election Candidate Information
2018 Municipal Election
The following City Commission seats will be open for re-election November 6, 2018:
- Mayor Seat: Candidates may run at large with no regard to residential area.
Currently held by Mayor Enid Weisman
- Seat 2: Candidates must reside north of the Lehman Causeway.
Currently held by Commissioner Denise Landman
- Seat 4: Candidates must reside south of the Lehman Causeway.
Currently held by Commissioner Robert Shelley
- Seat 6: Candidates may run at large with no regard to Residential Area.
Currently held by Commissioner Marc Narotsky
Become a Candidate
To become a candidate for the November 6, 2018 election, the following documents must be filed with the Aventura City Clerk PRIOR to opening a campaign account, receiving contributions, or making any expenditures:
- DS-DE 9 (PDF) Appointment of Campaign Treasurer and Designation of Campaign Depository for Candidates - must be filed prior to opening the campaign account and prior to accepting contributions or making expenditures on the person’s behalf.
A candidate may be his or her own campaign treasurer or deputy treasurer.
Your campaign depository must be a bank, savings and loan association or credit union authorized to do business in the State of Florida. The account may be entitled “(Name of Candidate) Campaign Account.” This account must be separate from any personal or business accounts. All monetary contributions received must be deposited in the campaign account within five business days of receipt. Only the campaign treasurer or the deputy campaign treasurer may sign campaign expenditure checks.
- DS-DE 84 (PDF) Statement of Candidate - must be filed within 10 days of filing of DS-DE 9. This form states that the candidate has been provided access to read and understand the requirements of Chapter 106, F.S.
- Access to the candidate and campaign treasurer handbook and the election laws of the state of Florida (PDF) document.
Kindly schedule an appointment with the City Clerk by email or calling 305-466-8901.
After filing the appropriate paperwork with the City Clerk, candidates may then open a campaign account and begin to accept contributions and make expenditures.
Qualify to Be Placed on the Ballot
Candidates must qualify to run during the period August 13-17, 2018 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. at the office of the City Clerk, 19200 West Country Club Drive. Please keep in mind that all candidates will be filing their paperwork during this time. As such, you are encouraged to schedule an appointment with the City Clerk by calling (305) 466-8901 or emailing us to insure that your paperwork can be received and reviewed for completeness, in time for qualifying.
Documents that Must Be Submitted
The following documents must be submitted at that time:
- DS-DE 9 (PDF) Appointment of Campaign Treasurer and Designation of Campaign Depository for Candidates - if not already on file
- DS-DE 84 (PDF) Statement of Candidate - if not already on file
- Access to the Candidate and Campaign Treasurer Handbook and the Election Laws of the State of Florida (PDF) - if not already on file
- Notice of Candidacy (PDF) - City Charter provides that candidates must have resided continuously in the City for at least one (1) year preceding the date of qualifying; and persons running from a particular Residential Area must be a resident of the Residential Area which s/he proposes to represent on the Commission at the time of qualifying, at the time of his/her election and must continue to reside in such Residential Area during his/her term of office.
- DS-DE 302NP (PDF) Candidate Oath
- Voluntary Statement of Fair Campaign Practices (PDF)
- Form 1 (PDF)Statement of Financial Interests
- Qualifying Fee - In accordance with the City Charter, a fee in the amount of $100, payable to the City of Aventura, from the Candidate's Campaign Account must be submitted
- State Assessment Fee - In accordance with State Statute, candidates must file an assessment fee in the amount of 1% of the annual salary of the office being sought. The annual salary for Commissioners is $7,500. The annual salary for Mayor is $10,000. Therefore, if running for Commissioner, the amount of $75 payable to the City of Aventura from the Candidate's Campaign Account must be submitted. If running for Mayor, the amount of $100 payable to the City of Aventura from the Candidate's Campaign Account must be submitted.
- Copy of Voter Information Card
- Resign to Run (if applicable) – Candidates must resign from elective or appointive office at least 10 days prior to the first day of qualifying (August 13, 2018)
Please be advised that if you intend to seek election to City Commission office, please be sure to arrive at the office of the City Clerk with the necessary completed qualifying papers and fees in a sufficient period of time before the 4:30 pm expiration of the qualifying period on Friday, August 17, 2018, so that your qualifying papers may be timely filed with the City Clerk prior to the end of the qualifying period.
Additional Information Resources
- Candidate and Campaign Treasurer Handbook (PDF)
- Aventura Charter and Code (PDF)
- City Vendors (PDF) Note: Candidates are prohibited from soliciting and/or receiving contributions from City Vendors. As such, candidates are encouraged to inquire whether or not contributors are City vendors prior to accepting money.
- City of Aventura Political Sign Code (PDF) - Specifies location, size and timing of placement of signs. Prior to posting signs, candidates must submit a check to the City of Aventura in the amount of $500, which will be returned after the election upon candidate's disposal of all political signs. Signs placed outside the City of Aventura city limits must be done so in accordance with the respective County or City Code provisions.
- The Florida Election Code (PDF)
You are urged to refer to the election laws in conducting your campaign.
- Frequently Asked Questions From State of Florida Division of Elections
(Note: not all may apply to the City of Aventura – when in doubt, please contact the City of Aventura Office of the City Clerk)
- Voter Registration Guide (PDF)
- Items for Sale From Miami-Dade County Elections Department (PDF)
- Miami-Dade County Elections Department
- State of Florida Division of Elections
- Guide to the Sunshine Amendment and Code of Ethics for Public Officers and Employees - State Ethics Commission (PDF)
Campaign Financing Forms
- Reporting Dates (PDF)
- DS-DE 12 (PDF) Campaign Treasurer's Report Summary
- DS-DE 13 (PDF) Itemized Contributions
- DS-DE 14 (PDF) Itemized Expenditures
- DS-DE 87 (PDF) Waiver of Report
- MD-ED 26 Paid Campaign Workers Participating in Absentee Ballot Activities Summary (PDF)
- Miami-Dade County Guidelines to Successful Campaign Treasurer's Report (PDF)
- Common Reporting Compliance Errors (PDF)