A permit ensures the consumer that the work is being done properly and with the appropriate materials. A licensed contractor is required to obtain permits in the following situations:
- General maintenance and repairs exceeding $500 in labor and materials for projects modifying a building's existing structure in any way (including tile, wood flooring and marble)
- Any electrical work, including installation of ceiling fans
- Replacement of an air conditioner unit
- Installation of a water heater
- Changing a toilet or a sink fixture
Please contact the Building Division at 305-466-8937 if you should have any questions as to whether a permit is required.